Wednesday, July 4, 2007

A Fight with the Devil

I ‘wake up’ lying on my bed with the covers pulled off. I am fighting for my life with an assailant who is unseen and unknown. It is actually not too dark to physically see my assailant: my room is lit orange from a street lamp and blue from my skylight. As I struggle and fight I can see that there is no-BODY there: It is as if the assailant is one and the same as my very own body.

The physical manifestation of the struggle though is very real: I am on my back with my knees and arms drawn up and fight desperately with a force that would pin me back down and make me submit. Time and time again I almost give in but just as my will would give way I discover hitherto unknown ‘backup’ resources of energy and fight.

At one point I wake up: the terrifying thing of this dream is that it is totally lucid and takes place in my own room exactly as it is and without the usual ‘dreamtime’ alterations. I realise (or think) that it is the Devil who I am fighting and that I must not and cannot shy away from this encounter. I order myself straight back to sleep so that I may pursue this encounter once more and prevail.

Later that same night I dream I am dragged from my bed and around on the floor, up the wall. This dream too is lucid but I know it to be only a dream whilst it is happening for the room in which it occurs is not my own.

Later the next day my flat mate tells me I have been screaming in my sleep.

No comments: