Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Room is Spacious and Bright 2

I am with some people in a strange house and we go down into the basement. The space that awaits us is claustrophobic and filled with boxes, rubble and dust. There is a feeling of neglect and of ruin; there is a hint of danger as it might collapse and swallow us up.

We stand there and gaze, dazed by the state of this place: how could anyone let it get so bad? But as we sense the sorrow of the space, so the space senses our presence and begins to transform, simply through the act of being looked at.

Within a few breaths the room is spacious and bright and has four large glass walls that are misted up. As I peer through the formlessness I see rain, catch glimpses of open moors and the deep earthy scent of peat.

The moors are inviting me out, all I have to do they seem to say is open the windows:

and step out.

No comments: