Wednesday, July 4, 2007

White Rabbit's Cage

I have a big, strong and beautiful white rabbit; it is a somewhat wild rabbit, not at all tame or domestic. The rabbit is absolutely furious for some reason that I cannot fathom - agitated it circles and thumps its back leg angrily on the ground.

Then I notice the cause of its distress – it has just broken free from a cage that is cruelly small and claustrophobic. The rabbit stamps its paw some more and leads me to understand that a man had put it in the cage. The man was well meaning but he couldn’t see that the cage was far to small for this rabbit - “How silly of him” I say to the rabbit.

So being an industrious little girl and in sympathy with the rabbit’s predicament I set to and begin to build a bigger and better cage from the material of the old. I work hard at my task and climb inside the new cage to line it with fresh hay. Whilst inside though I am gripped by claustrophobic fear and realise that although bigger and better – I have simply succeeded in making another cage.

Disconcerted I continue with my task, having come so far it would be silly to give up: but all I can think is how horrible it must be to live in a cage and wonder how I can so betray white rabbit’s trust.

No comments: