Friday, July 20, 2007

The school and the ocean

I am with a former art teacher of mine and we are in a school. A dignitary is soon to be visiting (OFSTED maybe?) and we are doing the placed up.

We are in the sports hall moving out old furniture, broken shelves, and painting the space blue, silver and pearl metallic (like the inside of a mollusc). I notice that some if the painting is shoddy, it has been done too quickly, the paint applied too thickly and without sensitivity. I point this out to my teacher who quickly rectifies it without pause or fuss.

We are being helped by school girls, one of them has gone out on top of the building to look for something and is reporting back to us via video camera. She is on the roof of a skyscraper and close to the edge, she seems oblivious to the danger and I fear for her.

Back in the sports hall I am playing a word game now with some of the girls. We have little blue and red foam 'pellets' (like little pills) and they open out to reveal words within. We open our pills, deep red, deep blue, deep red, deep blue...

the girls are all childish teenage excitement - of the kind that comes about with the opening first flush of puberty - climbing all over me, I find I am annoyed with their exuberance.

The words in the pellets are all related to the sea, or seafood - "mollsuc", "starfish", "mussel", "sea shell" - each word as it is opened seems to release with it the essence of the sea and I find myself lost and overwhelmed once again in the beauty of the Ocean Goddess.

No comments: