Friday, July 20, 2007

The Stag

I am with an old friend and former partner. I find myself looking at him fondly and with love.

He is in the middle of executing a 'pun' - he is trying to entertain me, to make me laugh. He has on 3 cloak or coats - one a large black cape that sweeps his ankles, the other a coat that is tied around his waist. All of these are part of his 'joke' but the pun is mistimed and I fail to see the joke.

"Oh well" he says in despair at my lack of humour! He starts to take the costumes off, one by one composed of several layers, they are all I notice very dark colours. "It's a shame, last of all I was going to show you this" he says as he peels off the last layer:

and he reveals a beautiful bright ochre coat of the finest silk. It is fitted and elegant and suggests high quality tailoring. There is much embroidery around the buttons on the front and looking closer I see that it has a beautiful 'stag' emblem on the collar in an earthy, rich, deep burnt umber brown.

No comments: