Saturday, January 30, 2021

White Rhino at an English Festival

 I am at a festival with my partners and their adult son. First S arrives, then T, then Ts son D - we are all staying together in a caravan.

We are scanning about and wondering what to do when we realise we are still in a pandemic still. We realise this means there are no tents, no gatherings, no dancing, no music, no groups ...

Awww this is going to be REALLY BORING we all say in moaning childish voices!

We head out of the caravan anyway to see what is going on. There is a shower and I say "oh I need a shower, please wait for me". I strip off and get inside, though I feel a bit self conscious as the shower is in a glass cube! My partners son is nearby and think "I hope he can't see me ..."

The window is partially steamed with droplets of water obscuring my vision, but as I scrub my body enthusiastically with lots of foam getting really clean (I am quite enjoying this) I peer through the glass and see - A WHITE RHINO!

It is not just the species 'white rhino' though that would be amazing enough in a green English festival field! It is a PURE WHITE RHINO - absolutely pure white - strolling relaxed and totally at home through the English fields.

I rush out of the shower to tell my partners "LOOK LOOK ..."

But by the time I get out the white rhino has gone. In its place are two children wearing masks, a boy and a girl aged about 6 or 7. One wears a pure white mask (the girl I think) and I think to myself, is SHE the Rhino? They run up to us, I find them kind of eerie, uncanny - I instinctively avoid them. However D (Ts son) welcomes them and rolls about on the floor with them in a playful fashion.

"Oh maybe they are ok" I think - and reflect not for the first time how good D is with children.

No comments: